Saturday, November 2, 2013

AGENDA 21 ARRIVAL AT SURF CITY

You'd have to be personally acquainted with my DH and I to know how ironic and hilarious yesterday was.

GET THIS BOOK: Behind the Green Mask by Rosa Koire !!!

Yesterday, November 1st, marked the official, blatant arrival of Agenda 21 in Huntington Beach California, known as @CityHBPIO. (What kind of handle is that anyway?) Tweet the heck out of them.

BECAUSE YOU, the HB RESIDENT ARE TOO STUPID TO KNOW WHAT'S IN YOUR OWN BEST INTEREST !!

I digress.

I inherited my (former) leftist leaning liberal tendencies genetically. Really. I honestly think that's the only thing my parents had in common. I used to be way left. Like by the time I was 10 (it was the '60s after all), I was marching, protesting, going door to door getting petitions signed. You can imagine the drill.

On the other hand, I don't think my DH even knew how to spell the word protest until he married me. His mother gave him a Rush Limbaugh tie the first Christmas we were married for crying out loud.

Needless to say, over the years we've had a few heated conversations on topics such as global warming, carbon footprints, solar energy, grocery couponing, food storage, the effect of media on youth...Over time, I'd honestly say I've moved to left of center; DH not so much. Every once in a while on a particular issue, his needle tilts a bit closer to right of center. Yesterday it jumped all the way to my side of the scale.

Enter Agenda 21. Me, I'm big picture. Like most people, DH doesn't "get it" until he is impacted personally. 

Which happened yesterday. I sent DH to the store to pick up a few things. I honestly forgot that starting yesterday, BIG BAD GROCERY BAGS are BANNED in Huntington Beach. BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST TOO STUPID to think in Huntington Beach, so the City Council has to do it for you,

DH found out his only two choices were: carry the stuff home in his hands, or BUY grocery bags. Forced to choose the latter, he came home hopping mad. Demanding we start shopping elsewhere (DUH!!!). I laughed my socks off.

I hope all 100,000 households in HB choose to shop just twice a month in Westminster or Fountain Valley just to make a point. Seriously, just drive across the street. Pavilions is in WM. Albertsons on WM/GW is in WM. Ralphs on Magnolia & Garfield is in FV. Sam's Club is in FV. I think the Fresh & Easy on Warner & Magnolia just over the 405 is in FV too.

Do it just to make the point, then I hope you email or tweet the City Council to tell them how much you spent NOT in HB. Oh, by the way, come Christmas time at Bella Terra you better bring your own bags, because the ban applies to every store there too.

Let's do the math. If all 100,000 households spend two grocery trips a month in WM/FV at $400 per, that's $800 a month per household, or $80 million dollars a MONTH not spent in HB.  Think that will send a message? I do. Think of the tax revenue decrease. We don't even have to do it very long...3-4 months will send the message loud and clear, particularly if you shop WM for the holidays. Look here at my previous post to see the results from a two year study commissioned by the County of Los Angeles. YOU can make a difference.

Get educated. Go here to buy the book Behind the Green Mask by Rosa Koire.

Harriet Parke and Glenn Beck wrote a fictional account of life in an Agenda 21 community. It's called simply, Agenda 21. Buy that one too. Back of the book has some really great original source material.

Then do something to fight back. Email this blog post to everyone you know. Email the Mayor: Connie.Boardman@surfcity-hb.org. Her personal goal is to remake HB into a "sustainable city." Really. That's a direct quote from her bio on the HB City Council page. Once you read Rosa's book you'll understand that "sustainable" is codespeak for Agenda 21.

Email the rest of the City Council as well. Last time I checked, Joe Carchio had a brain, but it's been a while.

And drive across Beach Blvd or Magnolia and shop in Westminster or Fountain Valley for a few months. Don't take it anymore. It's your life. You're entitled to live it freely.


No comments:

Post a Comment