Monday, August 4, 2014

BEWARE The Latest Nanny Scam

JUST RECEIVED A BOILERPLATE RESPONSE BACK FROM CARE.COM. WITH A RESPONSE LIKE THAT, VERSUS OH SAY, ASSURANCE THEY ARE SHUTTING THE SCAM ARTIST DOWN, NO WONDER IT IS SO PROLIFIC ON THEIR BOARD. ABSOLUTELY NO ACTION TAKEN TO PROTECT CAREGIVERS JUST A BOILERPLATE: HEY BE CAREFUL, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN OUT THERE.

There's a horrible scam going around, using the Deaf Community and a handicapped child as the cover story. What happens is a person contacts you asking if you do child care, offers to pay you slightly better than market rate because her child has special needs. Then offers to pay you one week in advance by check (runs about $300). Then asks for a favor: having her child's special wheelchair shipped to you COD and of course, she'll send you a $2500 check for that too. That's when it starts sounding fishy, and checking scamwarners.com, it turns out it is.  

Worse, is the photo this scammer uses to bolster her claims, is stolen from a real kid (in England!!) in a wheelchair:



This photo was taken in Shropshire England when the child had his wheelchair stolen and it was later found and returned to him.

Here's the letter. Name changes every week. Evidently they use Care.com A LOT. So you need to be careful if you list with them.


Thanks for your message. My name is Victoria Nelson. I recently moved from  Phoenix to Seattle with my family but i'm moving to your area. on 21st of August and i will need a nanny for my son immediately. His name is Joe, 6 years old and the time would be from  9am to 4pm Saturdays and Sundays only. This is a long term position but its fine to start temporary. Some weekdays are also flexible if you are available but we may need to discuss that in person. I`m willing to pay 18/hour. I believe its a great pay and i`m paying that much because i want quality care for my son.

I lost my husband and a 7 months old baby in December. It was my late husband`s birthday and he decided to take the kids out while i was still at work. Joe happens to be the only survival from the accident but he currently uses a wheelchair. I have had terrible times in the last few months and this is one of the reasons i have decided to move to your area because staying here brings back some sad memories. Kindly be honest if you have experience with childcare because i want the best care for Joe. I'm hard of hearing and can only communicate via writing, reading lips or text messaging. I hope that isn't problem? I'm easy going and love to laugh. I can send you a picture of me and Joe in my next email.

It will be nice to read about you. I want a nanny who is willing to be a friend and family. Please note that i have a few applicants for this position but i made you our first choice so i wouldn't appreciate a waste of time. Make sure to include your complete name, address including zip code and cellphone number in your response so i could check the map to read the distance between us also to have your address on file. You may ask questions in case you have any. I await your quick response.

Thank you!

Thank you for your email. Here is my own 8400 Edinger Ave, Huntington Beach. We are moving in on 21st of August. The sitting could be in our place but if you want Joe at your place,I wouldn't have any problem dropping him. You're free to do outdoors if you wish. I suggest that we meet on Friday 22nd before you start working on Saturday 23rd. That way we can get to know each other in person and share some interest about ourselves and the babysitting activities. As said in my previous email, the last couple of months hasn't been good and i wouldn't want to get stocked with my Son on arrival so i'm willing to make a deposit to you ahead of time to ensure a secured appointment to avoid disappointment. The total cost of your pay per weekend is $252($18/hour x 7 hours/day = $126/day x 2days). I hope i can issue your first week deposit check with the below information. Kindly let me know if everything is clear so i may proceed. Also attached is a picture of me and Joe.

Thank you for your prompt response and i`m glad that were on the same page. I have made arrangement to get Joe a powered wheelchair and i got a cheaper one in Huntington Beach and i`m wondering if i could have the seller deliver it to you so you can help pay on delivery. The wheelchair cost $2523 so i will be sending you a check to cover your first weekend deposit and the cost of the chair so you can take out your deposit and pay the cost of the wheelchair to the seller on delivery and we will follow you to pick the chair after our meeting on Friday. Please understand that the aim of having you purchase the wheelchair is to ensure the wheelchair is available for Joe on arrival. The wheelchair isn't assembled yet. Its still packed in pieces so its not big at all. Due to his condition, i wouldn't want any delay with the arrangement of the chair so you can let me know if everything is clear.

I await your email so i can proceed to mailing your check.


No comments:

Post a Comment