Thursday, May 16, 2013

HOME STORAGE STUFF

(Homeschooling has been updated.)

Been a busy two days !

Boneless skinless chicken is on sale for $1.77/lb, so I bought 30 lbs and canned in it pint jars. I ended up with 32 pints (albeit the 32nd one was scant). This works out to $1.66 a pint. By contrast, I usually can chicken breast on the rib bone, when it's on sale for .99/lb. The last time I did that, I canned 45 lbs (including bone weight) of chicken and got 28 pints. That works out to $1.61 a pint.

Yeah, for a delta of .04cents a pint, I think I'll keep my eye out for boneless skinless sales. It was SUCH a nicer process....way less work.

50# bags of white rice were $25.99, so I bought 300# and will be putting them into 5 gallon buckets today. I bought 10 buckets & lids (cheaper white buckets & the slightly more expensive lids) from Home Depot (free shipping when I did it.)

Pasta was on sale for .75 per 1 pound box WYB 10, so I bought 30 <grin.> If I have buckets left over, I'll put them in there.

Walked into a VERY cool deal on broccoli: I ended up with 72 heads of broccoli for $6.00, so as soon as I finish canning the chicken this morning, I'm going to blanch the broccoli, dehydrate some and vacuum seal/freeze the rest.

Oh, and Arrowhead 3L (think 1 gallon) water was on sale .50 ea WYB 10, so I ended up getting 20 of those.

The front garden is really busting out with produce !! Finally, a successful year in gardening (honestly, it's probably because this year, I finally took care of the soil.) We started uprooting our front yard, I can only work with 10 stones at a time, and I received a pretty bad baseball injury from umpiring, so I haven't been back to work on it since I started it. Hopefully within the next week or so I can get it all done and planted.

Really happy all the way around. My self-reliance bank got a few deposits!


No comments:

Post a Comment