Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Being Prepared

Writing this from my phone as my house is currently without electricity. With all that has gone on this month, I forgot to call Southern California Edison and get a payment extension on my security deposit, so thanks to the smart meters,  they flipped a switch and voila, no power.

Mind you, this shut off is not because I didn't pay a bill for actual SERVICE. It's a shut off for a security deposit for FUTURE SERVICE.

These are the moments when I wished I had enough off grid power to get by. I may actually boot up my generator and run my fridge off it...I need to use up the gas which is in there anyway. Too bad I haven't put a converter on the generator yet. I could run it off propane or the natural gas to the house. Or if I had gotten one of those small 30watt refrigerators from Sears, I'd be running it off a battery and sitting pretty.

The fridge is actually the only thing of import which is an issue electrically speaking. Heat and hot water is nonelectricity dependent. Electronic devices are being recharged as we speak through solar.

It's ironic that this should happen the same week my landlord is kvetching about getting rid of my prepper stuff in the backyard. I think it's shown me once I get power restored I need to learn how to use the table saw and make a wood holder so I can neatly stack the firewood, since no one seems to want to come get it. I can cook off grid without a problem so no worries there.

I've gone for longer than the 2 or 3 days we'll be without power until we have money on Friday, and with far less people in my house than I normally have too.

So the world's not going to end, and we're prepared enough. And on the bright side? I have a great excuse to eat all the ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. How do you have to pay a deposit for future service when you're ALREADY paying for service? That doesn't make sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. What's worse is their attitude: So Sad Too Bad For You.

    ReplyDelete