Monday, May 19, 2014

Blueberry Plants

Blueberry plants cost an outrageous $33 a plant here in southern California. You need at least two to pollinate and put out fruit.

Always looking for a great deal, I ordered 3 plants for $12 (including shipping) from Gardener's Collection.

Hmmm. Now I understand why blueberry plants run $33 each. 

Clearly, the $33 variety are established bushes, flowering and ready to put out fruit.

Contrast that with three blueberry stalks. It will be years (at least one, if not two) before these have grown enough to flower and bear fruit. Very disappointing. 




I'm sure 3-4 years from now I'll be thrilled. Allegedly, this variety--blueberry giant-- once established, puts out 'thousands' of blueberries. But I'm still waiting for the grapevines I planted last season to do something, so if blueberries are similar, I'm in for a long, long wait.

Sigh. I guess I'll be investing $66 in blueberry bushes from my nursery after all. Lo barato sale caro.

No comments:

Post a Comment