Wednesday, February 26, 2014

GROWING FREE FOOD IN A WINDOWSILL

On a day where there is a ton to write about politically, I am making the conscious choice to blog about growing celery in a windowsill. It was a tough choice (seriously!), but I am choosing to focus on the positive.

In passing, someone mentioned you could "grow plants from kitchen scraps." Never heard this before so I did some investigating. I ended up buying, then returning, the eBook Don't Throw It, Grow It! 68 Windowsill Plants from Kitchen Scraps by Deborah Peterson. As I stated in my review, it's clearly written, but there are too many directions on growing "greenery" plants from kitchen scraps rather than specifically "food" plants for my taste (pun intended), which is what I was looking for and why I ended up returning it.

Everybody it seems, grows celery from kitchen scraps. Here's my YT video:



BTW, that's the first time I've embedded a YT video in my blog, vs a link. Pretty snazzy!!

I'm looking forward to growing more things, namely ONIONS. I go through a ton of onions. I would dearly love to buy a 50 lb bag of onions, chop off the root bottom like I would do anyway, dehydrate the majority of the onion, and use that chopped off bottom to grow more onion!! Ostensibly, I could spend $4.99 for a 50# bag once and never have to buy onions again !!!! (What, you thought I was kidding when I said I'm all about getting groceries for free?)

Same for scallions, leeks, radishes, turnips, beets, garlic, lettuce (specifically romaine), and a few others. So yeah, look forward to a plethora of kitchen scrap videos. Unlike most of the YT kitchen scrap videos out there, I'll show you installments of what happens along the way (my DD17/videographer is so thrilled.)

Free food, free food, free food, free food, fffffrrrrreeeeee ffffffooooodddd. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment